How to view Malaysiakini via proxy server
Is there more (something bigger going on behind the scenes) to the alternative media sites being hacked? After Malaysia Today and Free Malaysia Today (FMT) earlier, now it’s the turn of Malaysiakini to be inaccessible to readers.
You can still get your Malaysiakini fix though, here’s how:
5 easy steps
(1) Go to http://www.malaysiakini.com as usual and you’ll see the front page.
(2) Click on the story that you want to read, e.g. ”Malaysian First’ requires doing a Ridhuan Tee’ by Shuzheng. You’ll be greeted by an alert advisory, like this.
(3) Go to the header and copy the url of the Malaysiakini article, e.g. http://www.malaysiakini.com/letters/142895
(4) Next, go to a proxy server website. Try this one: http://freeproxyserver.net/
(5) Now paste the Malaysiakini url you copied earlier into the empty box on the home page, and hit the ‘Go’ button. There, you’ll have arrived at your selected article via proxy.
A notice by Malaysiakini (5pm, Sept 17)
Readers accessing Malaysiakini are encountering a virus alert, warning that the website “may harm your computer”.
The virus alert is being triggered by advertising banners on Malaysiakini as a result of a fresh attack on the open source application that manages advertising called “Open X”.
Malaysiakini has already disabled the infected system and readers can safely view Malaysiakini pages without any threat of infection by the virus.
However, your individual anti-virus software may take sometime to reexamine the page and remove the automated virus alert.
Malaysiakini apologises for the technical problem.
About the malware:
OpenX Banner Page Hack
Updated: September 16, 2010